An interesting idea is presented on “for a beautiful web” regarding how best to deal with IE6 and its many failings. Universal Internet Explorer 6 CSS proposes that IE6 always gets sent a standard look and feel, so that the experience for its users is not bad – just not the full shebang. It’s clear it has been designed, rather than sending plain CSS-less HTML, but it’s very sparse.
Personally, I like the idea. I have done something similar on more than one occasion. I haven’t taken it to the same level, possibly, but I’ve treated IE6 in a similar way to how I treat screen readers for example: make sure all the content is available, and is usable. What follows are a couple of screen shots of redamc.com, first from Safari 4, then from IE6. (The Safari 4 shot is representative of all modern browsers, though.) The design basically revolves around having all the content on one page, in nicely scrollable boxes. In IE6, this was not well supported, and the decision was taken to make the layout more “blog-like”. All the content is the same, however.
First, Safari 4:
As the first example of my [Tienda.co.uk](http://tienda.co.uk/) project, we’ve just launched [slant1996.com](http://www.slant1996.com) which sells slightly mad t-shirt designs!
I recently helped out updating a friend’s online shop: Nunoya in Barcelona. As well as the obvious stock of kimono and other clothing items, they have some cool accessories. But my favourites are the Kokeshi, which I don’t remember having seen before – slightly mad (in a good way) dolls that look a bit like Russian dolls, but Japanese. And they don’t contain smaller versions of themselves, so actually, they’re nothing like Russian dolls!
[update: forgot to mention I did some photos of Sofia in kimonos for the site…]
*Photo by Csaba_Bajko*
I’m not too bad with timetracking these days. I use Billable for invoicing and as long as I keep a vague eye on the time, and add the hours into Billable as they’re spent it’s not too much of a bind.
Recently, though, I’ve started using a solution that seems obvious, but I’ve never heard of it used (I haven’t Googled it, either, so I can very easily be proved wrong!) I’ve set up a screengrabbing utility to take a shot every 10 minutes, then if I have any doubts about what time I started on something – or more usually, until what time in the middle of the night I worked until – I can have a quick look back at the screengrabs and it’s all there.
The side benefit is that while I’m looking at the screengrabs as thumbs I can see the ratio of Google Reader to TextMate (for example) is quite obviously not balanced how it should be ;)
I should *really* update the theme for this blog!
I started a Photo A Day project: http://domipix.com/pad/. Let’s see if I can keep that up to date a little more than this blog ;)
I’ve opened a public bit to my pix website at http://www.domipix.com/pub/. There’s not much there right now, but I’ll add more pix and more info ASAP… [I just noticed it’s a bit screwy, CSS-wise, in older Geckos… I’ll fix that at some point]
Update: I fixed the render bug, but because of spiralling numbers of photos, I’ve changed the site already: www.domipix.com goes straight there…
Another Update: my pix have all moved over to pbase (cop out, I know…) – www.domipix.com still works to get you there.
My site’s just moved over to bcnpix.com – a new project that I hope to have up and running very soon. domi.co.uk will redirect over to domi.bcnpix.com.